Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Another tear down!

Yes, they tore down another building this week-this time a nice brick 2-flat, but no photos this time- although I suspected it was coming when I saw "No Tresspassing" signs all over the property and the windows boarded up. Someone cashed out big time on that building. It was a double lot- the kind that makes developers mouth's water around here.

But not to be all bad news. I broke down and finally bought a digital camera (it's charging now).
I am never the first one to buy new technology -that's for sure. I have a basic cell phone that I can go days on end without turning on, just got a DVD player at x-mas, and we are waiting for the prices of flat screen TVs to drop more before considering.

I think I have a little touch of luddite in me, although I work on a computer literally all day long and if our systems go down at work, I feel like I can't do a thing. And then I come home and get back on the computer like 3 times or more. We do have cable internet too- no can do dial up.

That Antiques Show I mentioned Sunday was interesting. I was hoping to see some Arts and Crafts furniture, but there was none. I believe true antiques are 100+ years old so that would eliminate some of Stickley and his ilk (borderline I think). The "cheap" stuff there was $2000.00- just a wee bit out of my price range. Mainly I saw stuff like what you see on Antiques Road Show. The kind of stuff that makes the appraisers stop breathing and their hearts skip a beat.

I now understand that feeling after standing next to a $20,000.00 clock. It made me nervous actually. Pictures soon woohoo.

7 comments:

Emerld said...

I"m the same way. Don't have a cell phone at all. Don't have an Ipod etc. I'm getting OLD!

K said...

I can't stand dialup anymore either. I have DSL at home. I'm usually an early adapter, though I resisted the DVD craze for a while because we already had a collection of VHS. I've had a cell phone since 1996 and always have it with me, though I'm tiring of people always being able to get in touch with me ... if I'm meeting my mom and sister for lunch, each of them will call me three times prior and on the way. Ack!

Kasmira said...

I'm with Emrld. No cell phones or Ipods in our house.

Ana said...

Me neither! But I have the flat screen TV and, of course, cable for the computer.

And I became addicted to blogs. My own, supposed to be a hybrid of renovation and cooking, ends up with more entries about cooking than renovation. After all, you eat three times a day.

I am planning to move the reno out into a website. My provider gives me some space for a site and I have not yet used. Stay tuned.

Jess said...

Eh, no trespassing signs are for looks only... ;-) Just think of the mouldings and doorknobs...

[ahem] Strictly joking, of course...

I would, however, be there for sure the night the building was knocked down--old bricks here I come!

Anonymous said...

I was jerked into the 21st century by work and school this year. Work gave me a basic cell phone and school graduated into digital classes for photography. Got a DVD player for Christmas after my 7 year old VCR broke. I bought another one because I am not shelling out for a DVR. My neighbor gave me a computer but I still do not have it hooked up to the internet. Just use it to play games. I have the internet 9 hours a day at work. Flat Screens yes I do drool over those but not their proces..

Jocelyn said...

We got TONS of common brick when they leveled the house next door- the owner said "help yourselves." We got some before the antique brick company came for theirs. We also pillaged lily of the valley plants, daylilies, hostas, & daisies. I love saving plants. As a matter of fact, I was eyeing some limy of the valley at this new location too. I have heard that common bricks are like $1.00 each. We have hundreds- we're rich rich rich! :)
Actually Steve is going to use them to tuck point the side of our building soon.