Sunday, June 05, 2005

Biting the Bullet

Well, today I bit the bullet and tore down the ugly tropical wallpaper in the entry. This means I have committed to work on this project this summer. The walls are in so-so condition. Portions had been replaced with 1/2" drywall previously and there are sections with quite alot of movement in them.

We may just take the plaster out and leave the lathe for strength. It's a small room and we think a good drywall job will outlast repairing the plaster and be quicker to boot. We were VERY lucky because I was able to just peel all the wallpaper off. I used no paste or anything.
Every once in a while, you catch a break.


The moulding will all be carefully removed and stripped. I am planning to wrap it in plastic with stripper and "let the stripper do the work" rather than heat gun it.


Here's a view from the front porch. In my opinion, it looks better already.


close-up of wall

And below is a short of the brackets as they stand right now - 1/2 done.

Next weekend will be a BIG weekend here as we will (finally) be finishing tiling the kitchen and Steve will glue up the shelves and finish them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The brackets look great! Nice break on peeling the wallpaper off- I hope the plaster goes as smoothly. We didn't try to save any of the lathe, so I'm not sure how that would work. We did take a bunch of plaster off and then pulled the lathe off, but I'm not sure if any lathe was left behind. I love the trim in the entryway...

c2677 said...

God bless you for taking the time to update this blog while doing this rennovation work. I barely have the time/energy to make coffee in the morning, let alone catalog my home rennovation with digital pictures. I'm lucky I managed a "before" pitcure before the deolition began...

good luck!
-c2677@
www.c2677.com

K said...

I am eagerly awaiting more pictures of the backsplash work with. We're planning to do that ourselves soon.

K said...

I am eagerly awaiting more pictures of the backsplash work. We're planning to do that ourselves soon.

K said...

Oh hell.