Tuesday, January 30, 2007

We've got a ceiling again


Some ceilings we don't want. As a woman, I'm not in favor of the glass ceilings in some segments of corporate America. I believe our new Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said she broke through the "marble ceiling" just recently.
But here at the 2-flat, our ceilings are of a much more mundane nature. We like them where they belong without holes. I have to admit that living without a ceiling is easier to me than living with holes in walls- most certainly because one doesn't look up all the time.
Anyway, we got our ceiling back today. The best part was we didn't have to do it ourselves. Our contractors are doing it since the plumbing issue was their fault. They'll be back soon for the next few steps of taping and painting and we'll be good as new.
The only bonus to this is that when we originally drywalled the ceiling, Steve cut the hole for the light too big and we had to add a decorative plaster ring to hide it. Now, we won't have to have that.
Chicago 2-flat adage:
The one benefit to doing anything over again is usually you do it better the second time around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your house is beautiful, I am so impressed with all of your woodworking. My favorite oldest nephew & his bride recently bought an old house in eastern PA (the columns in the basement are actual trees that had been cut off!). The former owners did a lot of restoration, but it still needs more work. I gave him a reciprocating saw for Christmas and now would like to buy a nailer & a compound miter saw. I've been looking at the DeWalt 12" sliding compound saw, someone said it will do lots of extra things. It's a little pricey - $649 from ToolsPlus.com with a free nailer. There are a zillion nailers, most important now is a finish nailer, but I don't know the difference between 15 & 16 gauge. Do you have any recommendations? RBottoni at optonline dot net

Jocelyn said...

Hi Kathy and thanks.

A 15 gauge nailer can handle thicker diameter nails than a 16 gauge. The lower the number the thicker the nails that the tool can handle.

Fine Homebuilding Magazine this month has a report on miter saws. I know someone who works for them and he told me that a compound miter saw is the way to go- it's more versatile and can cut thicker stock of wood and make bigger and more varied cuts. Your choice sounds good.

I wish I had a nice aunt like you buying me tools! :)

Thanks for reading