Friday, July 21, 2006
Are you a houseblogger waiting to happen?
Today's Chicago Tribune ran a flattering story on house blogging and bloggers. I hope this brings more local Chicago people and others to blog about their projects. If anyone is here as a result of the story, welcome!
It got me thinking about what makes a houseblogger. I am sure many of us have some ideas about this. Here are some impromtu questions to help you determine whether you are destined to become a houseblog member. Of course this is only my list and is not meant to be comprehensive or authoritative!
Determining your house-blogger tendencies:
1. Do you take pictures of your projects or home before, after, or during construction?
(bonus points if you put them in a photo album or scrapbook)
2. Do you long to commisserate with others in the same pain (of home remodeling projects)?
3. Do you gaze longingly at decrepit older homes and wish you only had the time and/or means?
4. Do you regularly shop at Home Depot, Loews, etc...?
5. Do you find it gratifying to get really dirty while working?
6. Does the idea of stripping layers of paint off beautiful old wood make you practically hop out of bed on a Saturday morning? (yes, I am serious)
7. Do you watch HGTV more than 3 times/week?
8. Do you subscribe to more than 2 "home improvement" magazines? (This Old House, Handyman, Fine Homebuilding, etc...)
9. Do you have family and friends out of town you want to share your house-progress with?
10. Are you looking for a community that can offer you tips and advice and support along the way?
If you answered yes to a few of these, well, the writing is on the wall...
...and if you want to start your own houseblog, click here.