Saturday, April 02, 2005

Weekend Warrior

I seem to be a weekend warrior with my blog too. It's probably because during the week I have to go to my day job, and not alot often happens with the house. But that's probably not uncommon. Last summer and spring I had been laid off my job with a decent severance package, so I had about 4 months off before I started to get nervous and took a job.

We used the time to demo the kitchen and I stripped and sanded ALOT of wood trim and 3 doors. My arms would get so tired from that. And I'd experience that "weekend warrior" syndrome where you go to work Monday (or in my case, back to the job search) and you're like, "Why do I do this to myself?" Some people overdo it at the gym, me it's digging a new flower bed and hauling bags of mulch and top soil around, planting a hundred bulbs in 2 weekends, or hunching over a work table scraping paint off wood.

The nice thing about making your house your workout of choice is that something is actually accomplished. Work gets done! Now I know that for people that go to the gym alot, the evidence is all over their physical being, but I just don't find that as gratifying anymore.

At my old job, I used to joke when people would ask me what I was doing over the weekend, "Oh, I'm stripping again." They knew what I meant. I remember when I first met Steve and I had my own apartment. I didn't really understand why he was so tired after working on his house(now our house) on Saturdays. After I started doing the work myself, I understood!

Anyway, since Steve got a bunch of work in his business and we can't do much on the kitchen this weekend, I decided to pay a visit to one of my favorite places Gethsemane Garden Center. I bought some pansys and some willow branches to put into pots on my front porch. If I had that digital camera, I'd post a photo, but I haven't gotten around to buying one yet.

photos added 5.7.05 (I am going crazy with this new toy)




I am truly like a kid in a candy store or a bride at Filene's wedding dress sale when I go to Gethsemane. In peak season, when I go there, my heart begins to race and I have to consciously avoid impulse or over-buying. Why? Because I have a small yard and there is a limit to what I can fit in it. Unless I want to dig a new bed, I am pretty much at maximum capacity right now. And today, I so wanted a climbing rose, but I need to buy an arbor and figure out where to put it before I buy the rose. I ended up with the pansies and 2 pots of Irish Moss. I am planting it on a little mound in my front yard that has my baby Peony on it. I am hoping the Irish Moss will take and discourage erosion on the little hill and discourage the squirrels from disturbing the mulch there too-which they always seem to do.

Steve thinks the squirrels bury stuff there because it's an easy spot to remember. Funny, huh?

1 comment:

Kasmira said...

I got my workout this weekend doing yardwork and my husband got his installing the dishwasher. We ache, but it's good to feel you've accomplished something.