Sunday, October 08, 2006

There's something I haven't told you

Okay, I will now confess that I've been keeping a BIG secret off the blog. Part of the reason I couldn't post it is because it was a surprise for Steve's birthday, which was last week.

Let's put it this way....it's the "best birthday present" he's ever received. Can you guess what it is?

It's a Bosch 4000-9 portable table saw with stand!!

He tried it out a few nights ago and his initial comments were, "Runs like a Rolls Royce, is very precise, and very well constructed." I think this is going to make Steve's woodworker life much easier. (I promise to post a full review at some point.)

I really wanted to give him a good present for being such a good project manager this summer. He dealt with contractors interrupting him all day long with questions while trying to work and he had to deal with any and all
problems while I was at away at work.

So, I had it delivered to my Mom's house. She lives about a mile away. I had no idea how I'd get it over here, but hoped it would fit in the trunk of her car. It didn't. Of course we figured this out on Steve's birthday, when I was over to pick it up and bring it home for the big surprise.

So what did I do? I put it on a dolly and rolled it home. I wish you could have seen the look on Steve's face when we rolled up the backyard with it. He was in the kitchen making dinner and turned around to see me and my Mom outside the back door with this huge box. I said, "Honey, look what I found in the backyard. I think we should keep it."

I'm just happy I was able to surprise him, even if I had to roll a 131 pound saw one mile through the neighborhood. It was well worth the sore shoulders.

Tenant update: One promising candidate came Saturday, but no deal yet...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome. Any pictures of you walking down the street with the saw on the dolly? That is an awesome birthday present & we've been happy with all the Bosch tools we have. Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Yep; I read all the reviews of contractor saws and that's the best one! Awesome.

Jocelyn said...

Oh jm, if only we were that young again :) We could sure use the time and energy.

Jocelyn said...

trissa- no pictures I'm afraid. It was all I could do to get it home :) We actually took the alleys, which would have made a great shot too- oh well....

christine said...

Oh that's a nice one!

K said...

Cute story and what a nice present! Darwin's birthday is in one month and one day, but I have no idea what to get him. We may have a roller skating party.

Derek said...

I have that saw, with the old stand. The wheels would be nice. I've made quite a few things with it, it's nice to be able to set up outside, to keep the dust out of the house too. Happy Birthday Steve. It really weighs 130lbs? I remeber carrying the box from the car, I didn't think I could lift that much.

Jocelyn said...

Derek- That's what the UPS label said! I am amazed I was able to lift it with the help of one guy myself.