Sunday, November 18, 2007

Please sir canna I have another?

What is it with me and the bad canna jokes anyway? I guess it's because I feel like a real die hard out in the yard in November chopping down 7' tall canna plants and then digging the bulbs up to store for the winter in our basement.

It's a job, that's for sure. This year I had expanded my canna beds and had planted them in three different locations- two in the backyard and one on our parkway. Why do I mention this? Because the thing with cannas is that every year that you plant them, you get more.

If only I could make my money grow that fast. Then I could afford to pay someone to take care of this mildly backbreaking garden chore.

Seriously, they probably at least tripled in quantity this year. As I was digging them up, I just laughed with amazement at these prolific plants and the abundance of healthy bulbs I pulled from the ground. Kind of a delirious laughter if you know what I mean.

In past years, I've given some to my Mom for her yard, and some to a few co-workers. My neighbor and many other noticeably sane people don't want them "because they are too much work."

Now who else can I give them to? Do you know anyone? Who do I know that isn't afraid of hard work?

Oh, I know!! Next March, I am going to offer them up to you housebloggers. I am going to propagate my cannas all over the globe. World domination through cannas, that's the ticket.

Okay, I'm going to rest now. I have a massive turkey dinner to cook this week. Thanks for sticking with me.

p.s. 2nd coat of primer put on garage door Saturday. Two more to go before Thanksgiving. It wouldn't be so bad if we could work indoors, but the oil paint is way too stinky for that. Also, we have some red color (tanin or some stain embedded in the wood) bleeding through the primer on the door so we have to do a coat of stain blocker. Yes, stuff happens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I love what you're doing with the house!

Have you considered listing it in the Home Name Registry? I think your home is perfect for it.

The website is www.homenameregistry.com

Billy!

sparky said...

all cannas are beautiful

and http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=26
will cover anything

SmilingJudy said...

I'll take 'em! :)

Many years ago when I moved into my first house, a friend (who taught me to garden) gave me a few medium-sized clumps. I grew those for a couple of years and they multiplied into several large boxes of tubers.

There was a cluster planted just outside my bedroom window. When a late spring rain came though, I could hear the raindrops hitting the leaves through the open window. Very soothing....felt as if I was sleeping in a rain forest.

Then I moved on to this house where they sat in the basement for too many summers (house work devours gardening time, you know) so they shriveled up and died. I made a half-hearted attempt to plant them last year or so, but nothing came up.

MadeInRogersPark said...

Living in Rogers Park my entire life except when away at college, and now staying in California for the winter you don't really need to dig upo the cannas!
Especially when the winters are fairly mild. Or is it because my cannas are planted next to the basement boiler room!
They multiply and return every year. No more digging and backbreaking work!
Also, RE ASBESTO ABATEMENT
There is NO NEED unless you know for sure your have leaking asbestos
We did it over 20 years ago, there was all of this drama, signs posted around our property and men in radon suits - they are still hanging in the basement.
It cost us over $5000 and it was a waste of $$$!