We are determined to get the new (salvaged and restored) garage door in this year. Mark my words.
I've been busy and remiss on blogging, but over the past weeks we have accomplished the following on our lovely salvage find:
Steve built a completely new door jamb with an arched header. He made it out of pressure treated lumber as it will be outside and painted.
I scraped the one layer of paint off the door, sanded it. We installed the hinges.
We hung the door inside the jamb. I am proud to say we have a completely pre-hung door that Steve made from scratch.
Steve fabricated replacement muntins for the window panes (several were missing) at the Loyola Park woodshop.
We still have to go to the locksmith and buy the lock and put it in. Then, we have to hang the door and install the locks.
All this in November! Chilly chill!
Last Saturday, Steve & I spent the whole day outdoors working on the hinges and getting the right fit with the planer etc... Our neighbors on either side were outside working too...for a few hours. Not like us cuckoos out there from 9am till 5pm. But by God, we'll get it done!